Lakeisha & Anthony #Rush2theAltar
I wanted to share my wedding on my blog because :
1. I can relive the day.
2. I showcase the work of my lovely photographers
3. I can show that weddings can be done on a budget; Fashion Sherlock style ( I won't share all the details but know I have no wedding debt 👌🏾) .
Anthony and I are both from NYC, met online, and we have been together for 7 years. We got engaged Halloween 2015 during a party at my house.
I always knew I wanted a destination wedding and Anthony happily obliged. He just asked no beach for the actually venue (lol). The toss up was between Mexico and Jamaica. Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort and Spa, in Puerto Morales won the games.
I then set out to execute a magical, carefree, and seamless day from miles away.
I really wanted to buy a sample sale wedding dress, but my weight when I started dress stopping stood in my way. I did visit The Bridal Garden, but nothing really worked. The dress I did end up with is a Kelly Faetanini Edun Ombre dress from Gabriella Bridal. I found a simple chapel length veil of etsy to match. My shoes were by Marco De Vincenzo that I purchased from Matchesfashion.com for over 50% off. ( They actually have this shoe on sale now in other colors). I wanted a shoe that I could wear over again, and this checked all my dream shoe boxes. My jewelry was something new and old from my mother and mother in law.
My hubby wore a rented suit, Cole Haan shoes I found from Nordstrom rack, and pink polka dot socks from The Sock Hop sample sale in January. My bridesmaids all wore dresses we found on clearance by Jill Jill Stuart, and less than $99. The designers end of the season sale online had dresses over 75% off. Alexis Bittar drop earrings came from the sample sale hosted by 260 Sample Sale. Getting ready robes I got from boohoo.com during there many sitewide sales. I found my moms Monique Lhuillier dress also at Nordstrom Rack for $66!!!
I kept it really simple, because no one remembers the flowers, the chairs or the linens ( I took a survey beforehand!). I used our chosen wedding package (Ultimate) and only added drapes to the front our our gazebo, a gold chandelier, 2 gold vases of cally lilies, tiffany chairs, and a light up dance floor from the resort. Linens, place setting, centerpieces, menu cards, bridesmaids flowers, cake topper, etc... I made DIY or bought for less online. So reach out to me if you want in depth details!
Fun Tip: instead of the popular expensive photo booth, we brought a Fujifilm Poloraid, value film packs and props. Worked perfectly!
The day overall was simply magical, but I guess everyone would say that about their own wedding. Here are a few tips I give for anyone planning a wedding:
- There will be some drama and tears during the process. Happens to the best of us. Just step away for a moment.
- Keep a extensive budget planner and checklist AND try your best to stick to it. Things can fall through the cracks if not.
- Book vendors early. If you are doing a destination wedding get a room block during holidays or promotional time frames.
- Join Facebook groups with fellow brides and vendors; my Cancun Bride group was a lifesaver!! They answered all my questions before anyone else.
- Last minute things will occur or something will not go as planned. Don't dwell on it.
- Start early on your day getting ready.
- Assign others to be the point of contact for guests.
- Less is more. At the end of the day it's the couple and those present to celebrate that really matter.
- Be in the moment. It's crazy how you spend months planning and it's over almost instantly.
Hotel: Dreams Riviera Resort and Spa - this place knows how to execute a smooth wedding. The pool deck is perfect for a reception.
Onsite Wedding Coordinator: Natalia - she contacted us 3 months before the wedding, and made my day run smoothly. Also thanks for those extra additions as a surprise.
Dress: Kelly Faetanini from Gabriella Bridal in NYC
Shoes: Marco De Vincenzo
Photographer: Take-It-Photo - I contacted Lupe over a year before my wedding. This duo were professional, helpful with the timeline for the day, and captured great moments.
Hair: Sade Milinda Studio
Makeup: Mac Cosmetics/ Smashbox
Groom: Jack Silver Formal Wear, Inc.
Groom shoes: Cole Haan
Wedding Planner: Me!!!
Any advice for the newly married? Are you planning a wedding soon, what is a question you have that maybe I can assist with? Or what is your dream wedding?
Share in the comments!